The research activities are beneficial for students and researchers as they provide potential opportunities to learn with direct involvement in real-world projects. The research findings are directly applicable to solving challenging industry issues, fine-tune design codes, give coastal residents options for making their dwellings more storm resistant, and improving hurricane protection policies. The WISE Lab offers the following resources to research and industry:
- Aerodynamic Testing at High Reynolds Number.
- Aeroelastic Testing.
- Wind Load Analysis.
- Structural Dynamic Analysis.
- Damping Solutions.
- Coastal Protection and Rehabilitation.
- Model Verification and Validation for Understanding Community Resilience and the Effects of Natural Hazards on the Built Environment.
- Resilient, Recoverable, and Sustainable Built and Natural Environments that Meet Community Objectives along the Coast.
- Methods and Technology to Quantify and Forecast Infrastructure Resistance and Vulnerability.
- Wind Engineering: Experimental/computational multiscale assessment of windstorms impact on the built environment, wind tunnel testing, physical modeling of the atmospheric boundary layer, open-jet testing, hurricane wind simulation, large-scale testing, bluff body aerodynamics, tornado, and down-burst effects on structures, computational fluid dynamics (CFD).
- Heat Islands under Climate Change.
- Performance and Resiliency Enhancement of the Built Environment for Coastal Hazards, for new and existing infrastructure: low-rise buildings, tall buildings, bridges, power transmission lines and towers, solar panels, wind turbines, offshore structures, green building envelope, etc.
- Structural Dynamics/Control and Hazard Mitigation under Extreme wind and Earthquake Loads: intelligent structures, magneto-rheological fluid dampers, passive/active tuned mass dampers, pounding tuned mass dampers, semi-active bracing systems, dissipative and probabilistic methods for semi-active control design.
- Codification of Environmental Loads on Structures: Wind Speed-Up Factors, and Wind Loads.
- Renewable Energy: Solar Panels and Arrays, and Wind Turbines.
- Bridge Scour: Modeling and Countermeasures.
- Structural Health Monitoring and Smart Detection Systems for Transportation Infrastructure and Traffic Control.
- Overheight Vehicles Impact Avoidance and Incident Detection Systems.