117 Journal Articles Published/In Press
Peer-Reviewed Book Chapters at the bottom of the list
To request a copy of a publication, e-mail Dr. White with publication number or title.
* = student led publications
*Boudreaux, M, S. Bargu, J.R. White and M. Baustian. 2021. Water Quality, Phytoplankton, and Microphytobenthos Dynamics of Sediment Borrow Areas on the River-Dominated Louisiana Continental Shelf. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. In Prep
*Knaus, E., C. Armbruster, J.R. White. 2021. Trajectory of development of physiochemical and microbial soil properties six years after coastal wetland creation. In Prep.
*Sapkota, Y. S. Bargu and J.R. White. 2021. Impact of a Temporally-Displaced Mississippi River Spring Flood Event on Nutrient and Aquatic Ecosystem Responses in Estuarine Waters. In Prep.
Snow, C., Bargu, S., White J.R. 2022. Effect of Freshwater Pulse Inputs on Nutrient Loading, Toxic Cyanobacteria Bloom Development and Cyanotoxing Production in Lake Pontchartrain Estuary. Hydrobiologia. In Prep.
121) White, J.R., Couviollion, B. Day, J.W. 2022. Coastal Wetland Area Change for Two Freshwater Diversions in the Mississippi River Delta. Ecological Engineering. In Review.
120) Zhang, S, Jin, J., Gang, W., Bolan, N., White, JR, Shaheen, SM, Rinklebe, J., Chen, Q. 2022. Incorporation of Calcium Cyanamide and Straw Reduces Phosphorus Leaching in a Flooded Agricultural Soil. Environment International. In Review.
119) *Cheng, J. and White, J.R.. 2022. Dredge-Material Created Coastal Marshes are More Effective at Improving Water Quality Than Natural Marshes in Early-Stage Development. Ecological Engineering. In Review.
118) *Sapkota, Y., J.R. White, K. Xu, K. Maiti, P.W. Inglett. 2021. Temporal variability in soil organic matter accretion rates in coastal deltaic wetlands under changing depositional environments. Soil Science Society of America Journal In Revision.
117) Li, W, Wang, L., Yang, X., Liang, T., Zhang, Q., Liao, X., White, J.R. and Rinklebe, J. 2022. Interactive Influences of Meteorological and Socioeconomic Factors on Ecosystem Servcie Values in a River Basin with Different Land Uses. Science of the Total Environment. 829: 154595 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2022.154595
116) *Bowes, K., J.R. White, K. Maiti and E. Meselhe. 2022. Surface Water Temperature Impacts on Denitrification: Implications for Coastal Restoration. Science of the Total Environment. 828:154397 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2022.154397
115) Zhang, S. X. Yang, L.C. Hsu, Y-T Liu, S-L Wang, J.R. White, S.M. Shaheen, Q. Chen, J. Rinklebe. 2021. Soil acidification enhances the mobilization of phosphorus under anoxic conditions in an agricultural: Investigating the potential for loss of P to water and the associated environmental risk. Science of the Total Environment 793:148531 doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.148531
114) J.W. Day, W.H. Conner, R.D. DeLaune, C.S. Hopkinson, R.G. Hunter, G.P. Shaffer, D. Kandalepas, R.F. Keim, G.P. Kemp, R.R. Lane, V.H. Rivera-Monroy, C.E. Sasser, J.R. White, I. Vargas-Lopez. 2021. A Review of 50 Years of Study of Hydrology, Wetland Dynamics, Aquatic Metabolism, Water Quality and Trophic Status, and Nutrient Biogeochemistry in the Barataria Basin, Mississippi Delta – System Functioning, Human Impacts and Restoration Approaches. Water: 13, 642. doi.org/10.3390/w13050642
113) Wang, D. J.R. White, R.D. DeLaune, Z. Yu and Y. Hu. 2021. Peripheral Freshwater Deltaic Wetlands Are Hotspots of Methane Flux in the Coastal Zone. Science of the Total Environment 775:145784. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.145784
112) Hayes, M.P., Y. Sapkota, J.R. White and R.L. Cook. 2021. Investigating the Impact of in situ Soil Carbon Degradation Through Porewater Spectroscopic Analyses on Marsh Edge Erosion. Chemosphere, 268:129266. doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2020.129266
111) *Thompson, L., K. Maiti, J.R. White, C.M. Dufore. 2021. Sediment Oxygen Dynamics of Recently Excavated Dredge Pits in the Northern Gulf of Mexico Shelf. Marine Environmental Research, Volume 163:105199 doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2020.105199
110) *Sapkota, Y and J.R. White. 2021. Long term Fate of Rapidly Eroding Carbon Stock Soil Profiles in Coastal Wetlands. Science of the Total Environment. 753:141913. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.141913
109) Chen, J., D. Wang, Y. Li. Z. Yu, S, Chen, J.R. White and Z. Chen. 2020. The Carbon Stock and Sequestration Rate in Tidal Flats from Coastal China. Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 34, e2020GB006772. doi.org/10.1029/2020GB006772
108) Ou, Y., Z.G. Xue, C. Li, K. Xu, J.R. White, S.J. Bentley, Z. Zhang. 2020. A 3-dimensional Numerical Study of Salinity Variations in the Barataria Estuary, Louisiana. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 245:107021 doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2020.107021
107) Iles, R.L., N.D. Walker, J.R. White and R.V. Rohli 2020. Impacts of a Major Mississippi River Freshwater Diversion and Winds on Suspended Sediment Plume Kinematics in Lake Pontchartrain . Estuaries and Coasts. 44: 704-721. doi.org/10.1007/s12237-020-00789-y
106) Chauhan, A., A. Pathak, R. Jaswal, X. Xu, J.R. White, B. Edwards III, J. Hunt, S. Brooks, R. Rathore, M. Agarwal. 2020. Characterization of Bacterial and Fungal Assemblages from Historically Contaminated Metalliferous Soil Using Metagenomics Coupled with Diffusion Chambers and Microbial Traps. Frontiers in Microbiology. Vol 11:1024 doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2020.01024
105) Corrigendum to “An Investigation of Early Season River Flood Pulse: Carbon Cycling in a Subtropical Estuary [Sci. Total Environ. (2018) 867–877/635] 2020. Science of the Total Environment. 719:137312. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.137312
104) Garcia, J., G. Galan, J.W. Day, R. Boopathy, J.R. White, S. Wallace and R.G. Hunter. 2020. Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products (PPCPs) and Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria (ARB) and Antibiotic Resistance Genes (ARG): Increasing Removal with Wetlands and Reducing Environmental Impacts. Bioresource Technology Vol 307:123228. doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2020.123228
103) Huang, W., C. Li, J.R. White, S. Bargu, B. Milan and S. Bentley. 2020. Numerical Experiments on variation of freshwater plume and leakage effect from Mississippi River diversion in Lake Pontchartrain Estuary. Journal of Geophysical Research:Oceans Vol 125:e2019jC015282 doi.org/10.1029/2019JC015282
102) *Spera, A.C., J.R. White, R. Corstanje. 2020. Influence of a Freshwater River Diversion on Sedimentation and Phosphorus Status in a Wetland Receiving Basin. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 238:106728. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2020.106728
101) *Sapkota, Y., and J.R. White 2020. Carbon offset market methodologies applicable for coastal wetland restoration and conservation in the United States: A review. Science of the Total Environment 701:134497. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.134497
100) Steinmuller, H.E., M.P. Hayes, N.R. Hurst, Y. Sapkota., R. Cook, J.R. White, Z. Xue, L.G. Chambers. 2020. Does Edge Erosion Alter Coastal Wetland Soil Properties? A Multi-Method Biogeochemical Study. Catena. 187:104373. doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2019.104373
99) *Haywood, B.J., M.P. Hayes, J.R. White and R.L Cook. 2020. Potential Fate of Wetland Soil Carbon in a Deltaic Coastal Wetlands subjected to High Relative Sea Level Rise. Science of the Total Environment. 711:135185. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.135185
98) *Putnam-Duhon, L.A., J.R. White, R.P. Gambrell, and K.A. Rusch. 2020. Treatment of wastewater ammonium under varying salinity conditions within the marshland upwelling system. Environmental Technology, 41(12) doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2018.1540660
97) *Sapkota, Y. and J.R. White. 2019. Marsh edge erosion and associated carbon dynamics in coastal Louisiana: A proxy for future wetland-dominated coastlines world-wide. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 226: 106289. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2019.106289
96) *Vaccare, J., J.R.White and E. Meselhe. 2019. The Denitrification Potential of Eroding Wetlands in Barataria Bay, LA USA: Implications for River Reconnection. Science of the Total Environment. 686: 529-537. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.05.475
95) White, J.R., R.D. DeLaune, D. Justic, J. Pahl, J. Day, R. Lane, W. Boynton, R.R. Twilley . 2019. Consequences of River Water Introduction on Nutrient Dynamics of Coastal Deltaic Wetland Soils and Estuarine Sediments: A Review. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 224: 209-216. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2019.01.019
94) Bargu, S., D. Justic, J.R. White, R. Lane, J. Day, H. Paerl, R. Raynie. 2019. Mississippi River Diversions and Phytoplankton Dynamics in Deltaic, Gulf of Mexico Estuaries: A Review. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 221:39-52. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2019.02.020
93) Ghaisas, K. Maiti, J.R. White. 2019. Coupled Iron and Phosphorus Release From Seasonally Hypoxic Louisiana Shelf Sediments. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 219:81-89. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2019.01.019
92) *Hurst, N.R., J.R. White, K. Xu and M. Ren. 2019. Nitrate Reduction Rates in Sediments Experiencing Turbulent Flow Conditions. Ecological Engineering. 128:33-38. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2018.12.027
91) Steinmuller, H., K. Dittmer, J.R. White and L.G. Chambers. 2019. Understanding the Fate of Soil Organic Matter in Submerging Coastal Wetland Soils: A Microcosm Approach. Geoderma. 337:1267-1277. doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2018.08.020
90) Day, JW., DeLaune, R.D, J.R. White, R.R. Lane, G.P. Shaffer, R. Hunger. 2018. Can Denitrification Explain Coastal Wetland Loss: A Review of Case Studies in the Mississippi Delta and New England. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 213: 294-304. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2018.08.029
89) Martin, K.M, E.A. Hasenmueller, J.R. White, L.G. Chambers, J.L. Conkle. 2018. Sampling , Sorting, and Characterizing Microplastics in Aquatic Environments with High Suspended Sediment Loads and Large Floating Debris. Journal of Visualized Experiments:(137), e57969 doi.org/10.3791/57969
88) Berkowitz, J.F., C.M. VanZomeren, C.D. Piercy and J.R. White. 2018. Evaluation of Coastal Wetland Soil Properties in a Degrading Marsh. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 212:311-317. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2018.07.021
87) DeLaune, R.D., J.R. White, T. Elsey-Quirk, H. Roberts, and D.Q. Wang. 2018. Differences in Long-term vs Short-term Carbon and Nitrogen Sequestration in a Coastal River Delta Wetland:Implications for Global Budgets. Organic Geochemistry. 123:67-73. doi.org/10.1016/j.orggeochem.2018.06.007
86) Bae, H-S, L. Huang, J.R. White, R.D. DeLaune, and A.V. Ogram. 2018. Response of Microbial Populations Regulating Nutrient Biogeochemical Cycles to Oiling of Coastal Saltmarshes from the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill. Environmental Pollution. 241:136-147. doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2018.05.033
85) VanZomeren, C.M., J.F. Berkowitz, C. Piercy, and J.R. White. 2018. Restoring a Degraded Marsh Using Thin Layer Sediment Placement:Short-term Effects on Soil Physical and Biogeochemical Properties. Ecological Engineering 120:61-67. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2018.05.012
84) Haywood, B.J. J.R. White and R.L Cook. 2018. Investigation of an early season river flood pulse: Carbon cycling in a subtropical estuary, Science of the Total Environment 635:867-877. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.03.379
83) Roy, E.D. N.T. *Nguyen, J.R. White. 2017. Changes in estuarine sediment phosphorus fractions during a large-scale Mississippi River diversion. Science of the Total Environment. 609:1248-1257. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.07.224
82) *Wood, S.E., J.R. White and C.K. Armbruster. 2017. Microbial Processes Linked to Soil Organic Matter in a Restored and Natural Coastal Wetland in Barataria Bay, Louisiana. Ecological Engineering.106 part A:507-514 doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2017.06.028
81) Peyronnin, N.S., R.H. Caffey, J.H. Cowan, Jr., D. Justic, A.S. Kolker, S.B. Laska, A. McCorquodale, E. Melancon, Jr., J.A. Nyman, R.R. Twilley, J.M. Visser, J.R. White, J.G. Wilkins. 2017. Optimizing Sediment Diversion Operations: Working Group Recommendations for Integrating Complex Ecological and Social Landscape Interactions. Water. 9:368. doi.org/10.3390/w9060368
80) *Levine, B.M., J.R. White, R.D. DeLaune. K. Maiti. 2017. Impacts of Crude Oil Treatments on Oxidation-Reduction Status in Soil Cores from a Spartina Alterniflora Dominated Salt Marsh in Barataria Bay, Louisiana. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 81:647-653. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2016.12.0398 (Read an article about our paper in Science Daily)
79) *Levine, B.M., J.R. White and R.D. DeLaune. 2017. Impacts of Long-Term Presence of buried Crude Oil on Salt Marsh Denitrification in Barataria Bay, Louisiana. Ecological Engineering, 99:454-461. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2016.11.017
78) Shaheen, S.M., T. Frohne, J.R. White, R.D. DeLaune, J. Rinklebe. 2017. Redox-induced Mobilization of Copper Selenium and Zinc in Deltaic Soils originating from the Mississippi and Nile River Deltas: A better understanding of Biogeochemical Pocesses for Safer Environmental Management Journal of Environmental Management. 186-SI:131-140 doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2016.05.032
77) *Hurst, N.R., J.R. White and J. Baustian. 2016. Nitrate Reduction in a Hydrologically Restored Bottomland Hardwood forest in the Mississippi River Watershed, Northern Louisiana. Soil Science Society of America Journal 80:1698-1705 doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2016.08.0250 (Read an article about this paper in Earth Magazine)
76) Berkowitz, J.F., *L. Green, C.M. VanZomeren, J.R. White. 2016. Evaluating Soil Properties and Potential Nitrate Removal in Wetlands Created Using a Novel “Engineering with Nature” Based Dredged Material Placement Technique. Ecological Engineering 97:381-388. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2016.10.022
75) *Steinmuller, H.E., S.A. Graham, J.R. White, M. McKee, I.A. Mendelssohn. 2016. A Decadal-Scale Nutrient Loading Study in a Coastal Wetland:Impacts on Soil Microbial Processes. Ecological Engineering 97:58-63. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2016.07.008
74) *McKee, M., J.R. White L..A. Putnam Duhon. 2016. Simulated Storm Surge Effects on Freshwater Coastal Wetland Soil Porewater Salinity and Extractable Ammonium Levels: Implications for Marsh Recovery after Storm Surge. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 181-338-344. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2016.09.007
73) DeLaune, R,D, J. RInklebe, H.H. Roberts and J.R. White. 2016. Trace Metal Concentrations in Marsh Profiles Under the Influence of an Emerging Delta (Atchafalaya River and Wax Lake Delta) Overlying a Several Thousand Year Old Mississippi River Delta Lobe. Soil and Sediment Contamination 25(3):552-562. doi.org/10.1080/15320383.2016.1174186
72) DeLaune, R.D., C.E. Sasser, E. Evers-Hebert, J.R. White and H.H. Roberts. 2016. Influence of the Wax Lake Sediment Diversion on Aboveground Plant Productivity and Carbon Storage in Deltaic Island and Mainland Coastal Marshes. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 177:83-89 doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2016.05.010
71) *Roy, E.D., E.A. Smith, S. Bargu, J.R. White. 2016. Will Mississippi River diversions designed for coastal restoration cause harmful algal blooms? Ecological Engineering 91: 350-364. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2016.02.030
70) *Marks, B.W., L.G. Chambers, J.R. White. 2016. Effects of Fluctuating Salinity on Potential Denitrification in Coastal Wetland Soils and Sediments. Soil Science Society of America Journal 80:516-526. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2015.07.0265
69) Shaheen, S.M., J. Rinklebe, T. Frohme, J.R. White, R.D. DeLaune. 2016. Redox Effects on Release Kinetics of Arsenic, Cadmium, Cobalt and Vanadium in Wax Lake Deltaic Freshwater Marsh Soils. Chemosphere. 150: 740-748. doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2015.12.043
68) Wafulu, D., White, J.R., Canion, A., Jagoe, C., Pathak, A. and Chauhan, A. 2015. Impacts of Long-Term Irrigation of Domestic Treated Wastewater on Soil Biogeochemistry and Bacterial Community Structure. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 81:7143-7158. doi.org/10.1128/AEM.02188-15
67) Adhikari, P.L., J.R. White and K. Maiti. 2015. Phosphorus Speciation and Sedimentary Phosphorus Release From the Gulf of Mexico Sediments: Implications for Hypoxia. Estuarine, Coast and Shelf Science. 164:77-85. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2015.07.016
66) * Pietroski, J.P., J.R. White, R.D. DeLaune, J.J. Wang, S.K. Dodla. 2015. Fresh and Weathered Crude OIl Effects on Potential Denitrification Rates of Coastal Marsh Soil. Chemosphere. 132:120-126. doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2015.03.056
65) Roberts, H.H., R.D. DeLaune, J.R. White. C. Li, C.E. Sasser, D. Braud, E. Weeks, and S. Khalid. 2015. Floods and Cold Front Passages:Impacts on Coastal Marshes in a River Diversion Setting (Wax Lake Delta, Louisiana). Journal of Coastal Research. 31(5): 1057-1068. doi.org/10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-14-00173.1
64) * Pietroski, J.P., J.R. White and R.D. DeLaune. 2015. Effect of Dispersant Used for Oil Spill Remediation on Critical N Cycling Processes in Louisiana Coastal Salt Marsh Soil. Chemosphere. 119:562-567. doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2014.07.050
63) *Roy, E.D., J.R. White, and M. Seibert. 2014. Societal phosphorus metabolism in future coastal environments: Insights from recent trends in Louisiana, USA. Global Environmental Change. 28:1-13. doi.org/10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2014.05.009
62) Shaheen, S.M., J. Rinklebe, J.R. White and R.D. DeLaune. 2014. Biogeochemical factors governing Co, Ni, Se and V dynamics in periodically flooded Egyptian Nile Delta Rice Soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 78: 1065-1078. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2013.10.0441
61) Kolic, P., *E.D. Roy, J.R. White and R. Cook. 2014. Spectroscopic Measurements of Estuarine Dissolved Organic Matter Dynamics during a Large-Scale Mississippi River Flood Diversion. Science of the Total Environment. 485-486:518-527. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2014.03.121
60) Zurita, F and J.R. White. 2014. Comparative study of three two-stage hybrid ecological wastewater treatment systems for producing high nutrient, reclaimed water for irrigation reuse in developing countries. Water 6:213-228. doi.org/10.3390/w6020213
59) Deng, H., D. Wang, Z. Chen, J. Liu, S. Xu and J.R. White. 2014. Vertical dissolved inorganic nutrient fluxes in marsh and mudflat areas of the Yangtze estuary. Journal of Environmental Quality 43:745-752. doi.org/10.2134/jeq2013.07.0300
58) Osborn, D., M. Hassan, S. Asadi, and J.R. White. 2014. Durability Quantification of TiO2 Surface Coating on Concrete and Asphalt Pavements. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 26:331-337. doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000816
57) *Berkowitz, J.F., E.A. Summers, C.V. Noble, J.R. White, and R.D. DeLaune. 2014.Investigation of biogeochemical functional proxies in headwater streams across a range of channel and catchment alterations occurring over time. Environmental Management. 53:534-548. doi.org/10.1007/s00267-013-0199-1
56) *Kiehn, W.M., J.R. White, and I.A. Mendelssohn. 2013. Biogeochemical recovery of oligohaline wetland soils experiencing a salinity pulse. Soil Science Society of America Journal 77: 2205-2215. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2013.05.0202
55) *Theriot, J.M., J.L. Conkle, S. Reza Pezeshki, R.D. DeLaune, and J.R. White. 2013. Will hydrologic restoration of Mississippi River riparian wetlands improve their critical biogeochemical functions? Ecological Engineering 60: 192-198. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2013.07.021
54) *Berkowitz, J.F. and J.R. White. 2013. Linking wetland functional rapid assessment models with quantitative hydrological and biogeochemical measurements across a restoration chronosequence. Soil Science Society of America Journal 77: 1442-1451. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2013.01.0044
53) *Roy, E.D., J.R. White, E.A. Smith, S. Bargu, and C. Li. 2013. Estuarine Ecosystem Response to Three Large-scale Mississippi River Flood Diversion Events. Science of the Total Environment 458: 374-387. doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2013.04.046
52) DeLaune, R.D., M. Kongchum, J.R. White, and A. Jgsujinda. 2013. Freshwater Diversions as an Ecosystem Managment Tool for Maintaining Soil Organic Matter Accretion in Coastal Marshes. Catena 107: 139-144. doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2013.02.012
51) *VanZomeren, C.M., J.R. White, and R.D. DeLaune. 2013. Ammonification and Denitrification Rates in Coastal Louisiana Bayou Sediment and Marsh Soil: Implications for Mississippi River Diversion Management. Ecological Engineering 54: 77-81. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2013.01.029
50) Zurita, F., C.L. Del Toro-Sanchez, M. Gutierrez-Lomeli, A. Rodriguez-Sahagun, O.A. Castellanos-Hernandez, G. Ramirez, and J.R. White. 2012. Preliminary Study on the Potential of Arsenic Removal by Subsurface Flow Constructed Mesocosms. Ecological Engineering 47: 101-104. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2012.06.018
49) Zhang, W., J.R. White, and R.D. DeLaune. 2012. Diverted Mississippi River Sediment as a Potential Phosphorus Source to Louisiana Water Quality. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 47: 575-586. doi.org/10.1080/02705060.2012.687698
48) *Roy, E.D., and J.R. White. 2012. Nitrate Flux into the Sediments of a Shallow Oligohaline Estuary during Large Flood Pulses of Mississippi River Water. Journal of Environmental Quality 41: 1549-1556. doi.org/10.2134/jeq2011.0420
47) *VanZomeren, C.M., J.R. White, and R.D. DeLaune. 2012. Fate of Nitrate in a Vegetated Brackish Coastal Marsh. Soil Science Society of America Journal 76: 1919-1927. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2011.0385
46) *Putnam-Duhon, L., R.P. Gambrell, K.A. Rusch, and J.R. White. 2012. Effect of Salinityh on the Microbial Removal of NItrate under Varying Nitrogen Inputs Within the Marshland Upwelling System. Journal of Environmental Science & Health Part A 47: 1739-1748. doi.org/10.1080/10934529.2012.689221
45) *Conkle, J.L., and J.R. White. 2012. An Initial Screening of Antibiotic Effects on Microbial Respiration in Wetland Soils. Journal of Environmental Science & Health Part A 47: 1381-1390. doi.org/10.1080/10934529.2012.672315
44) Moustafa, M.Z., J.R. White, C.C. Coghlan, and K.R. Reddy. 2012. Influence of Hydropattern and Vegetation on P Reduction in a Constructed Wetland Under High and Low Mass Loading Rates. Ecological Engineering 42: 134-145. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2012.01.028
43) Lewis, D.E., Chauhan, A., White, J.R. et al. Microbial and Geochemical Assessment of Bauxitic Un-mined and Post-mined Chronosequence Soils from Mocho Mountains, Jamaica. Microb Ecol 64, 738–749 (2012). doi.org/10.1007/s00248-012-0020-3
42) Kral, F., R. Corstanje, F. Veronesi, and J.R. White. 2012. A Geostatistical Analysis of Wetland Soil Properties in the Davis Pond Mississippi River Freshwater Diversion. Soil Science Society of America Journal.76:1107-1118. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2011.0206
41) Zurita, F., *E.D. Roy, and J.R. White. 2012. Municipal Wastewater Treatment in Mexico: the Current Status and Opportunities for using Ecological Treatment Systems. Environmental Technology 33: 1151-1158. doi.org/10.1080/09593330.2011.610364
40) Galvan, K., S. Bargu, J.R. White, C.Y. Li, M. Sullivan, and E. Weeks. 2012. The Effects of Two Consectutive Hurricanes on Basal Food Resources in a Louisiana Shallow Coastal Lagoon. Journal of Coastal Research. 28:407-420. doi.org/10.2112/JCOASTRES-D-11-00009.1
39) DeLaune, R.D., White, J.R. Will coastal wetlands continue to sequester carbon in response to an increase in global sea level?: a case study of the rapidly subsiding Mississippi river deltaic plain. Climatic Change 110, 297–314 (2012). doi.org/10.1007/s10584-011-0089-6
38) Roy, E.D., Nguyen, N.T., Bargu, S. et al. Internal loading of phosphorus from sediments of Lake Pontchartrain (Louisiana, USA) with implications for eutrophication. Hydrobiologia 684, 69–82 (2012). doi.org/10.1007/s10750-011-0969-9
37) *Land, L., J.R. White, and R.P. Gambrell. 2011. Microbial Responses to Wetland Soil-stabilizing Polymer Amendments for Coastal Restoration. Soil Science Society of America Journal 75: 2398-2406. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2011.0017
36) *Lindstrom, S.M. and J.R. White. 2011. Reducing Phosphorus Flux from Organic Soils in Surface Flow Treatment Wetlands. Chemosphere 85: 625-629. doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2011.06.109
35) Moustafa, M.Z., J.R. White, C. Coghlan, and K.R. Reddy. 2011. Influence of Hydropattern and Vegetation Type on Phosphorus Dynamics in Flow-Through Wetland Treatment Systems. Ecological Engineering 37: 1369-1378. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2011.03.014
34) Reddy, K.R., S. Newman, T.Z. Osborne, J.R. White, and C. Fitz. 2011. Phosphorus Cycling in the Greater Everglades Ecosystem:Legacy Phosphorus Implications for Management and Restoration. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science & Technology 41(6): 149-186. doi.org/10.1080/10643389.2010.530932
33) Li, C., J.R. White, C. Chen, H. Lin, E. Weeks, K. Galvan, and S. Bargu. 2011. Summertime Tidal Flushing of Barataria Bay: Transports of Water and Suspended Sediments. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans. 116:C04000 doi.org/10.1029/2010JC006566
32) Zurita, F., M.A. Belmont, J. De Anda, and J.R. White. 2011. Seeking a Way to Promote the Use of Constructed Wetlands for Domestic Wastewater Treatment in Developing Countries. Water Science & Technology 63(4): 654-659. doi.org/10.2166/wst.2011.229
31) Bargu, S., White, J.R., Li, C. et al. Effects of freshwater input on nutrient loading, phytoplankton biomass, and cyanotoxin production in an oligohaline estuarine lake. Hydrobiologia 661, 377–389 (2011). doi.org/10.1007/s10750-010-0545-8
30) *Conkle, J.L., C. Lattao, J.R. White and R. Cook. 2010. Competitive Sorption and Desorption Behavior for Three Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics in a Wastewater Treatment Wetland Soil. Chemosphere 80: 1353-1359. doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2010.06.012
29) *Bostic, E.M. J.R. White, R. Corstanje and K.R. Reddy . 2010. Redistribution of Wetland Soil Phosphorus Ten Years after the Conclusion of Nutrient loading. Soil Science Society of America Journal 74: 1808-1815. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2008.0316
28) Lewis, D.E., White, J.R., Wafula, D. et al. Soil Functional Diversity Analysis of a Bauxite-Mined Restoration Chronosequence. Microb Ecol 59, 710–723 (2010). doi.org/10.1007/s00248-009-9621-x
27) *Gardner, L.M. and J.R. White. 2010. Denitrification Enzyme Activity as an Indicator of Nitrate Movement through a Diversion Wetland. Soil Science Society of America Journal 74: 1037 – 1047. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2008.0354
26) *Malecki-Brown, L.M., J.R. White and H. Brix. 2010. Alum Application to Improve Water Quality in a Municipal Treatment Wetland: Effects of Macrophyte Growth and Nutrient Uptake. Chemosphere 79: 186 – 192. doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2010.02.006
25) Li, CY, E. Swenson, E. Weeks and J.R. White. 2009. Asymmetric Tidal Straining Across an Inlet: Lateral Inversion and variability over a Tidal Cycle. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 85:651-660. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2009.09.015
24) *Conkle, J.L., Lattao, C.V., White, J.R., Cook, R.L., 2009. Pharmaceutical Analysis for Environmental Samples: Individual and Simultaneous Determination of Ciprofloxacin, Ofloxacin and Norfloxacin Using an HPLC with Fluorescence and UV Detection with a Wetland Soil Matrix. Analytical Letters 42, 2937 – 2950. doi.org/10.1080/00032710903201883
23) White, J.R., R.W. Fulweiler, C.Y. Li, S. Bargu, N.D. Walker, R.R. Twilley, S.E. Green. 2009. Mississippi River flood of 2008:Observations of large freshwater diversion on physical, chemical, biological characteristics of a shallow estuarine lake. Environmental Science and Technology. 43: 5599-5604. doi.org/10.1021/es900318t
22) White, J.R., R.D. DeLaune, C.Y, Li, and S. Bentley. 2009. Distribution of methyl and total mercury in Louisiana and Georgia shelf sediments. Analytical Letters. 42: 1219-1231. doi.org/10.1080/00032710902901947
21) Belmont, M.A. J.R. White and K.R. Reddy. 2009. Phosphorus sorption and Potential Phosphorus storage in sediments of Lake Istokpoga and the upper chain of lakes, Florida, USA. Journal of Environmental Quality. 38: 987-996. doi.org/10.2134/jeq2007.0532
20) *Malecki-Brown, L.M. and J.R. White. 2009. Effect of Aluminum-containing Amendments on Phosphorus sequestration of wastewater treatment wetland Soil. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 73: 852-861. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2007.0115
19) *Malecki-Brown, L.M., J.R. White and M. Sees. 2009. Alum Application to Improve Water in a Wastewater Treatment Wetland. Journal of Environmental Quality. 38: 814-821. doi.org/10.2134/jeq2008.0033
18) *Conkle, J.L., J.R.White and C.D. Metcalfe. 2008. Removal of pharmaceutically active compounds in a lagoon wetland wastewater treatment system. Chemosphere. 73:1741-1748. doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2008.09.020
17) *Grace, K.A., Dierberg, F.E., DeBusk, T.A. et al. Phosphorus uptake by Typha leaf litter as affected by oxygen availability. Wetlands 28, 817–826 (2008). doi.org/10.1672/07-194.1
16) White, J.R., M. Sees, R. Corstanje and *L.M. Gardner. 2008. The Short-Term Effects of Prescribed Burning on Biomass Removal and Release of Nitrogen and Phosphorus in a Treatment Wetland. Journal of Environmental Quality. 37:2386-2391. doi.org/10.2134/jeq2008.0019
15) *Malecki-Brown, L.M, J.R. White and K.R. Reddy 2007. Soil biogeochemical characteristics influenced by alum application in a municipal wastewater treatment wetland. Journal of Environmental Quality 36:1904-1913. doi.org/10.2134/jeq2008.0019
14) Reddy, K.R., Y. Wang, M.M. Fisher, J.R. White and R.T. James. 2007. Potential effects of sediment dredging on internal phosphorus loading in a shallow subtropical lake. Lake and Reservoir Management 23:27-38. doi.org/10.1080/07438140709353907
13) *Bostic, E.M. and J.R. White. 2007. Soil Phosphorus and Vegetation Influence on Wetland Phosphorus Release After Simulated Drought. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 71:233-238. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2006.0137
12) White, J.R., M.A. Belmont and C.D. Metcalfe. 2006. Pharmaceutical compounds in wastewater: wetland treatment as a potential solution. TheScientificWorld Journal 6:1731-1736. doi.org/10.1100/tsw.2006.287
11) Wang, H., Jawitz, J.W., White, J.R. and Martinez, C.J. and Sees, M.D. 2006.Rejuvenating the largest municipal treatment wetland in Florida. Ecological Engineering 26:132-146. doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2005.07.016
10) White, J.R., K.R. Reddy and J.M. Newman. 2006. Hydrologic and vegetation effects on water column Phosphorus in Wetland Mesocosms. Soil Science Society of America Journal. 70:1242-1251. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2003.0339
9) White, J. R., K.R. Reddy, and M.Z. Moustafa. 2004. Influence of Hydrologic Regime and Vegetation on Phosphorus Retention in Everglades stormwater treatment area wetlands. Hydrological Processes 18:343-355. doi.org/10.1002/hyp.1379
8) *Malecki, L.M, J.R. White and K.R. Reddy. 2004. Nitrogen and phosphorus flux rates from sediment in the lower St. Johns River estuary. Journal of Environmental Quality 33:1545-1555. doi.org/10.2134/jeq2004.1545
7) White, J.R. and Reddy, K.R. 2003. Nitrification and denitrification rates of Everglades Wetland Soils along a Phosphorus-Impacted Gradient. Journal of Environmental Quality 32:2436-2443. doi.org/10.2134/jeq2003.2436
6) White, J.R. and Reddy, K.R. 2001. Effect of select inorganic electron acceptors on organic nitrogen mineralization in northern Everglades soils. Soil Science Society of America J. 65:941-948. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2001.653941x
5) White, J.R. and Reddy, K.R., 2000. Influence of phosphorus loading on organic nitrogen mineralization of Everglades Soils. Soil Science Society of America J. 64:1525-1534. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2000.6441525x
4) White, J.R. and Reddy, K.R., 1999. The influence of nitrate and phosphorus loading on denitrifying enzyme activity in Everglades wetland soils. Soil Science Society of America J. 63:1945-1954. doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1999.6361945x
3) Parkinson, R.W. and White, J.R., 1994. Erosional shoreface retreat of a storm dominated mixed siliciclastic/ carbonate province, east central Florida, Journal of Sed. Research, 64:408-415. doi.org/10.1306/D4267FD7-2B26-11D7-8648000102C1865D
2) Parkinson, R.W., DeLaune, R.D. and White, J.R. 1994. Holocene sea-level rise and the fate of mangrove forests within the wider Caribbean region. Journal of Coastal Research 10:1077-1086. journals.flvc.org/jcr/article/view/79480
1) Parkinson, R.W., Wang, T.C., White, J.R. et al. Distribution and migration of pesticide residues in mosquito control impoundments St. Lucie County, Florida, USA. Geo 22, 26–32 (1993). doi.org/10.1007/BF00775281
White, J.R., M. Sees, and M. Jerauld. 2019. The Long-term Use of Treatment Wetlands for Total Phosphorus Removal:Can Performance Be Rejuvenated with Adaptive Management? In Nagabhatla, N, Metcalfe C.D. (eds) Multifunctional Wetlands:Pollution Abatement by Natural and Constructed Wetlands. Springer Published.
*Steinmuller, H., J.R. White and F. Zurita. 2016. Nitrogen Cycling in Treatment Wetlands. In Humedales de Tratamiento: Una Alternativa para America Latina (In Spanish) English Title: Treatment Wetlands: An alternative for Latin America. (In Spanish)
Zurita, F. and White, J.R. 2015. Comparative Study of Three two-stage Hybrid Ecological Wastewater Treatment Systems for Producing High Nutrient, Reclaimed Water for Irrigation Reuse in Developing Countries. In Water Treatment in Developed and Developing Nations: An International Perspective. V.M. Monsalvo (ed) Apple Academic Press pp. 3-24.
Li, C., J.R. White, and S. Bargu. 2013. On the Calculation of the Flux of Materials through Wetlands and Estuaries under Oscillatory Motions. In Methods in Biogeochemistry of Wetlands. R.D. DeLaune, K.R. Reddy, C.J. Richardson, and J.P. Megonigal (eds.), Soil Science Society of America Book Series no. 10. pp. 937-948.
*Roy, E.D., and J.R. White. 2013. Measurements of Nitrogen Mineralization Potential in Wetland Soils. In Methods in Biogeochemistry of Wetlands. R.D. DeLaune, K.R. Reddy, C.J. Richardson, and J.P. Megonigal (eds.), Soil Science Society of America Book Series no. 10. pp. 465-472.
*Conkle, J.L., C.D. Metcalfe, and J.R. White. 2013. Methods for Determining Emerging Contaminants in Wetland Matrices. In Methods in Biogeochemistry of Wetlands. R.D. DeLaune, K.R. Reddy, C.J. Richardson, and J.P. Megonigal (eds.), Soil Science Society of America Book Series no. 10. pp. 841-856.
Rivera-Monroy, V.H., R.D. Delaune, A.B. Owens, J. Visser, J.R. White, R.R. Twilley, H. Hernandez-Trejo, and J.A. Benitez. 2011. Removal of Physical Materials from Systems: Loss of Space, Area, and Habitats. In Treatise on Estuarine and Coastal Science Vol. 8. E. Wolanski and D.S. McLusky (eds.), Waltham: Academic Press. pp. 185-215.
White, J.R. and Reddy, K.R. 2009. Biogeochemical Dynamics I: Nitrogen cycling in wetlands. InThe Wetlands Handbook. E. Maltby and T Barber (eds.) Blackwell Publishing. ISBN 978-0-632-05255-4.
White, J.R., J. Hendrickson, J.L. Conkle. 2008. Effect of changing land use on water quality in the coastal zone. In A. Fares and A.I.El-Kadi (eds.) Land Management Impacts on Coastal Watershed Hydrology, WIT Press, Southhampton, UK. pp 199-215. ISBN 978-1-84564-091-0.
White, J.R. and M.A. Belmont. 2005. Wetlands for treatment of nutrient laden runoff from agricultural lands: models and Stormwater Treatment Area 1W as a case study for protection of the Everglades Ecosystem, USA. In E.J. Dunne, K.R. Reddy and O.T. Carton (eds.) Nutrient Management in Agricultural Watersheds: A Wetland Solution. Wageningen Academic Publishers. The Netherlands, pp. 61-66.ISBN 9076998612.
DeBusk, W.F., J.R. White and K.R. Reddy. 2001. Carbon and nitrogen dynamics in wetland soils In Modeling Carbon and Nitrogen Dynamics for Soil Management. Shaffer, M.J., Ma, L. and Hansen, S. (eds.) Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL. pp.27-53. ISBN 1566705290.
Reddy, K.R., J.R. White, A.L. Wright and T.T. Chua. 1999. Influence of phosphorus loading on microbial processes in soil and water column of wetlands. InPhosphorus Biogeochemistry in Subtropical Ecosystems. K.R.Reddy, G.A. O’Connor, and C.L. Schelske (eds.) CRC. Press. pp 249-273. ISBN 156670331X.